Our Client is an industry leading producer of Minerals and pigments, including Worldwide distribution. Because of high levels of demand, their Teesside based plant now requires an experienced time served Maintenance Manager to join their team. This is a fantastic opportunity to join a highly successful business on an initial temporary basis but will evolve into a permanent position if the chosen candidate is successful.
To manage the electrical and mechanical maintenance operations at the Teesside Plant, ensuring that the most cost-effective techniques and materials are used and that all such operations are carried out in accordance with the Company health, safety, environmental and quality procedures.
Duties / Responsibilities:
- To assist the Plant Manager in managing the maintenance of static and mobile plant and equipment at the Hartlepool Plant to ensure maximum equipment availability.
- To arrange, deploy, supervise, and motivate maintenance and contract labour, ensuring that appropriate personnel records and maintenance documentation is maintained. Assist the Plant Manager in implementing the annual appraisal scheme.
- To ensure statutory duties are met and that the requirements of the Hartlepool Plant Health and Safety site rules, Environmental and Quality systems are complied with during the maintenance operations.
- To co-operate with other members of the site management team and external company resources to ensure a process of continuous improvement in the sites production and maintenance operations.
- To assist the Plant Manager is cost control and cost reduction programmes particular in the maintenance operations.
- To assist the QSHE Advisor during the absence of the Plant Manager ensuring the smooth operation of the plant.
- To co-ordinate and plan the duties of the Hartlepool Plant maintenance team, to ensure that planned maintenance objectives are achieved on time. Assist directly in peak periods and (if required) allocate external resources to fulfil this objective.
- To recommend and develop changes to improve the productivity, safety, operation and control of the Plant to the Plant Manager.
- Develop planned Maintenance and stock control systems and procedures using SAP maintenance system. Ensure that spares stockholding is maintained at the minimum effective level and that the most competitive deals are sought with suppliers.
- To participate in the call out rota in order to be contactable out of office hours as a reference point for maintenance queries specifically during peak production times or breakdown recovery. To attend site to effect repairs to enable production if continued production required.
- To manage the maintenance tasks derived from the Work Request System through SAP, working with your team to ensure optimum utilisation of resources on requested jobs.
- Maintain good industrial relations and assist the Plant Manager in developing and coordinating the skills and training of the maintenance personnel to improve their effectiveness and contribution to the company’s goals.
- Implement, support and supervise the GBHR Maintenance Transformation Project.
- Take on role of Champion in promoting the implementation of 5S culture and working practices at the Plant site.
- Assist the Plant Manager with maintaining the accuracy of the Asset Register for GBHR.
Health & Safety Aspects:
- To follow the company H&S policy by example. Communicate the H&S company rules to site personnel and visitors.
- To ensure that all incidents, unsafe acts, unsafe conditions, medical treatment injuries and near misses are reported and investigated using root cause analysis; to actively support the prompt implementation of corrective actions and learnings.
- Carry out the requested actions from the Health and Safety Committee meetings and the site Plant Manager’s meetings. Chair safety meetings in the absence of the Plant Manager.
- Ensure the close supervision of contractors engaged on major project work either directly or indirectly using the services of other competent Hartlepool staff.
- Ensure that all contract documentation including Risk Assessments and method statements are available for inspection prior to and during project work as appropriate.
- Ensure that the HSE are informed under the conditions of the CDM Regulations as appropriate.
- Ensure that all maintenance work is carried out in accordance with Managers rules and procedures.
- Act as a permit manager under the permit to work scheme. Ensure that the appropriate personnel are instructed as permit issuers and permit receivers.
- Ensure that all new equipment complies with the PUWER Regulations.
- Document maintenance procedures using the SAP maintenance system where appropriate. Include in the procedures and records health and safety information pertinent to the work
- Ensure on completion of maintenance, repair or installation, the machinery or plant is inspected and all guards are correctly replaced as appropriate and isolation and/or permits are removed.
- Provide cover for your team during any absences, supervising and co-ordinating maintenance staff.
- Ensure that faults identified in work equipment inspection schemes are prioritised and dealt accordingly.
- Identify training needs within the maintenance department as appropriate.
- Ensure that all maintenance personnel and contractors wear PPE appropriate to the specific work being carried out at the time.
- Assist in the completion of Risk assessments ensuring that an appropriate assessment is available for all maintenance work.
- Arrange for the statutory inspection of LEV systems.
- Ensure that the relevant health and safety information is obtained from the manufacturers of new plant, tools and equipment in accordance with the PUWER regulations. Co-ordinate the training on new equipment as appropriate. Ensure that such equipment is only used by trained personnel.
- Carry out Toolbox Talks with maintenance personnel on subjects appropriate to the workplace and the needs of the site.
- Ensure equipment and machinery plans containing health and safety information are reviewed and updated regularly
- Consult as necessary with other company resources and departments on matters of health and safety and also from other sites and establishments outside the company’s own resources.
- Ensure that you are responsible for taking care of your own health and safety and the impact that any of your acts or omissions may have on other people.
- To ensure all Contractors comply with the requirements of the Contractors Rules and that they receive Induction Training and any necessary works or manager’s rules.
- Bring to the immediate attention of the Plant Manager any deficiencies identified in the health and safety rules, procedures and controls implemented at the Plant.
- Familiarise yourself with the Site Emergency Procedures.
- To follow Company environmental procedures and associated site works instructions.
- To correctly segregate and dispose of waste generated during production operations.
- To report promptly any environmental incidents or potential incidents to the Plant Manager or his deputy.
- To ensure that the maintenance sections of the environmental logbook are completed daily and that the appropriate inspections are completed.
- To assist the site management in achieving the environmental improvement objectives on time and in a cost-effective manner.
- Ensure that all electrical and mechanical environmental control measures are maintained under a planned maintenance system complying with the requirements of the site Process authorisation.
Major Quality Responsibilities:
- To follow Company and site quality procedures and site Work Instructions
- Ensure engineering aspects of processes and activities that have an impact on quality are controlled and monitored.
- Ensure plant and machinery is maintained so that its operation enables production and quality targets to be met.